GOVERNMENT OF NAGALAND
HOME DEPARTMENT : POLITICAL BRANCH
Dated, Kohima, the 1st June, 2000
M E M O R A N D U M
The Government of India, with the aim and objective of promoting
Tourism in the State of Nagaland, have partially relaxed the procedures relating to the
issue of Protected Area Permits in Nagaland vide their letter No. 15011/9/99-F.I dated
11.4.2000. Henceforth, the following procedure will be adopted for issue of Protected Area
Permits and monitoring the movement of foreign tourists within the tour circuits as
identified below with definite entry and exit points :-
Dimapur District :
Dimapur town, Chumukedima, Sithekiema and all the places on the NH No.
39 enroute to Kohima town.
The entry points for Dimapur District where the foreign Tourists would
be required to report on arrival shall be as follows :-
- Dimapur Railway Station, (ii) Dimapur Airport (iii) New Field Police Check Gate. The
exit points on expiry of the permit shall be the same points from where they enter on
their arrival unless otherwise specified in the permit.
- Kohima District :
Kohima town, Khonoma, Dzulakie, Kigwema, Jakhama, Viswema,
Khuzama, Japfu, Dzukou Valley.
The entry points for Kohima District where the foreign tourists would
be required to report on arrival shall be the same points as in Dimapur District and
Khuzama Check Gate from Manipur side. On expiry of their stay the points of departure will
be through the same points from where they enter, unless specified otherwise in the
- Mokokchung District:
Mokokchung Town, Longkhum, Ungma, Impur, Mopungchukit,
Chuchuyimlang, Tuli, Changki.
The entry point for Mokokchung District where the foreign tourists
would be required to report shall be (I) Tsutapala Police Check Gate (ii) Tuli Police
Check Gate unless otherwise specified in the permit. Similarly, the exit points shall be
the same points from where they enter on arrival unless specified otherwise in the permit.
- Wokha District:
Wokha Town, Doyang, Vankhosang, Tsungki, Governor's Camp and
The direct entry point for Wokha District where the foreign tourist
would be required to report on arrival shall be Bhandari Police Station. However, foreign
tourists on production of tourist permit for Wokha District either to the S.P. Kohima or
S.P. Mokokchung shall be able to enter Wokha District via Kohima District or Mokokchung
District as the case may be which shall invariably be mentioned in the permit itself.
- Authorities competent to issue Permits
- The Ministry of Home Affairs, the Government of India, New Delhi.
- All India Missions abroad.
- FRROs, Delhi, Calcutta and Mumbai.
- The Chief Immigration Officer, Chennai.
- The Home Commissioner, the State Government of Nagaland, Kohima.
- The Resident Commissioner, the State Government of Nagaland, New Delhi.
- The Nodal Department for Protected Area Permit shall continue to be the Political
Department under the Home Department, Nagaland, Kohima.
- Permit shall be issued to the groups of foreign tourists consisting of 4 or more persons
only. However, married couples shall be allowed even when the number is only two.
- The Director General of Police, Nagaland shall evolve an effective mechanism for
monitoring the movements/stay of the foreigners whilst in Nagaland.
- The Department of Tourism shall depute Liaison Officers as envisaged in Para 8(3) of the
instructions circulated by the Ministry of Home Affairs vide letter No.15011/9/99-F.I
dated 11.4.2000 and Para-I of the Annexure-I to that letter.
- The Travel Agents, Tour Operators and Guests Houses shall abide by the following
- Travel agencies/tour operators should ensure that tourist groups sponsored by them are
in possession of valid Restricted/Protected Area Permits.
- It will be the responsibility of the Travel Agents/tour operators to ensure that the
tourist groups do not visit places other than the permitted ones and also ensure that they
do not stay there after the expiry of the valid period.
- Owners of guest houses/hotels must ensure that foreigners with valid
Restricted/Protected Area Permits only stay with them. It is mandatory for the guest
houses/hotels and also the individuals if any foreigners stay with them, to inform the
local police about the arrival/departure of foreigners within 24 hours. Action against
those who do not follow the above instructions will be taken under the Foreigners Act,
- The Permit holders shall abide by the following instructions :-
- The permit is valid for group of tourist consisting of 4 and more persons only. Married
couples also allowed.
- Permit is valid for the specific tourist circuit-route and definite entry/exit points.
No area other than the ones indicated in the permit shall be visited.
- Permit holders are requested to keep sufficient number of photocopies of the permit with
them which may be required for depositing at each point of entry/exit.
- Permit holders should not stay in the restricted/protected area after the expiry of the
Secretary to the Govt. of Nagaland.